Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Living reconciled

We encounter many relationships, responsibilities and stimuli that often leave us confused, feeling guilty, disappointed, overwhelmed or sorry for ourselves.  When I live reconciled I am able to make decisions based on my values rather than external pressures which results in fulfillment and satisfaction rather than tension and resentments.  For example, I value a simple life built around relationships rather than things.  It is easy for me to get entangled in comparing my belongings with those of others, producting discontent and other negative feelings.  I have to make conscious choices throughout the day to live my values.  For example, when I get a new catalogue in the mail I am tempted to spend time developing a wish list rather than on sending a sympathy card to my cousin who lost her mom recently. 

Another way to live reconciled is

to do my best to build understanding and show respect to people in my life.  That sometimes means having difficult conversations.  I have to apologize, share how the other person's behavior impacted me and take responsibility for results when I want to blame other people.  It also means letting go of the choices and behaviors we cannot control.  For instances, if I have wronged someone and sincerely apologize and do what I can to make the relationship right and the other person is unwilling to forgive me and move on, I have to let it go.  Holding on to what I cannot control will rob me of joy and releases the other person from feeling responsible.  Letting go frees us to give and receive love on a deeper level.

We can also live reconciled with our past, particularly our mistakes, by through confession.  I have found that it is only through GOD's grace that I have meaning and purpose in spite of my weaknesses and foolishness.  By reading the scriptures and through prayer I know that the LORD loves me as I am and is always willing and ready to forgive me and restore me to wholeness.  But, am I willing to let go of the past and accept this love?  Once again, there is a choice to be made.  Let me tell you, I am an expert at analyzing, criticizing and blaming myself so I have to roll all my grief onto Him and allow His healing presence to cleanse and renew my soul.

The process of living reconciled leaves the soul in peace, open and receptive to the multitude of gifts and beauty all around us.  We are able to know and be known by others as we live with purpose and grace.

No comments:

Book List

  • Carnegie, D. (1981). "How to Win Friends & Influence People." New York: Simon & Shuster, Inc.
  • Dimitrius, J, and M. Mazzarella. (1999). "Reading People." New York: Ballantine Books.
  • Fisher, R., and W. Ury. (1991). "Getting to Yes." New York: Penguin Books USA, Inc.
  • Scott, S. (2002). "Fierce Conversations." New York: Berkley Books.
  • Stone, D., and B. Patton, and S. Heen. (1999). "Difficult Conversations." New York: Penguin Books USA, Inc.

Our company

My photo
Bellevue, Washington, United States
Email: B2coaching@comcast.net Phone: 425.577.1935