Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Me, a hero?

Do you consider yourself a hero?  The dictionary defines a hero as a remarkably brave person; someone who is admired for outstanding qualities or achievements.  Take a moment and review your life, especially the challenges you've encountered.  How did you deal with those challenges such as loss of a relationship or financial security, health or family challenges?  We all have them and most of us work to resolve them and improve our lives but fail to give credit to ourselves for being courageous and  brave or for achieving by overcoming obstacles.  I look back on the time I was going through training to become a coach while working full time, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I somehow managed surgery and treatment while working, training starting my coaching practice while continuing to run regularly.  I just got through it.  I just did the next thing I needed to do.  Was I perfect at work or coaching?  Did I set new personal records in running?  Not at all, I barely managed, but, by the grace of God, I got through it. 

When we celebrate our bravery and perseverance in difficult times we stop feeling sorry for ourselves or stop criticizing ourselves for having gotten into the difficulty or not managing them perfectly.  Sometimes we are heroes for just getting through tough times and when we can learn from them it's even better.  Celebrate!

No comments:

Book List

  • Carnegie, D. (1981). "How to Win Friends & Influence People." New York: Simon & Shuster, Inc.
  • Dimitrius, J, and M. Mazzarella. (1999). "Reading People." New York: Ballantine Books.
  • Fisher, R., and W. Ury. (1991). "Getting to Yes." New York: Penguin Books USA, Inc.
  • Scott, S. (2002). "Fierce Conversations." New York: Berkley Books.
  • Stone, D., and B. Patton, and S. Heen. (1999). "Difficult Conversations." New York: Penguin Books USA, Inc.

Our company

My photo
Bellevue, Washington, United States
Email: B2coaching@comcast.net Phone: 425.577.1935